The Center for Strategic Studies was established in 1984, as an academic unit at the University of Jordan, primarily concerned with conducting studies and research in the field of regional conflicts, international relations and security.
One of the results of the democratic breakthrough in the Kingdom in 1989 was that the Center expanded its activities to include planning and research in new fields: democracy, political pluralism, development and the environment. During the past decade, the Center organized a number of seminars and conferences and conducted many opinion polls with the aim of providing researchers and decision makers with data and data that would not have been available to them by other means.
The center building was first built in 1948 to be the first agricultural school in Jordan. In 1962, it became the headquarters of the University of Jordan’s presidency, then the Deanship of Scientific Research in 1987. Since 1995, the building houses the departments of the Center for Strategic Studies.
The Center for Strategic Studies extends its appreciation and thanks to the following parties and institutions for their generous support for the renovation and modernization processes that took place on this historic building in the period 1998/1999.
University of Jordan.
Greater Amman Municipality
Friedrich Ebert Foundation.
The British Embassy in Amman.
Canadian International Development Agency.